Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars is a heartfelt novel about the lives of cancer patients and how they deal with their disease while learning to appreciate life as much as they can in the time they have.  People without cancer can never know what it feels like to be conscience of the fact that their health is deteriorating at a fast pace and that their days on the earth are numbered. Hazel has a type of cancer in her lungs that is incurable and she has accepted the fact that she will die early. She has a normal unexciting outlook on life, until she meets Augustus Waters. He shows up at her support group and changes her personality completely. Hazel learns a lot about life and grief and family and cancer. This book will put you on a roller coaster ride full of emotion and admiration for cancer patients that deal with their diseases.

In my opinion, The Fault in Our Stars is one of the best fiction books I have ever read. I am a bit biased because I believe John Green is a phenomenal author and I love all of his books. But this book has taught be to be a lot more appreciative of things I normally take for granted like being healthy and being able to fully experience life. This book is for those readers that have a passion for romance novels and novels that teach you important lessons such as appreciation for simple things. I found that I could connect with the main character in this novel in the sense that she looked at things from a practical point of view and didn’t put all hope of recovery into a spontaneous miracle that would cure her. I especially enjoyed the comedy in this book that truly had me laughing out loud. I could not put this book down even while I was on vacation because it was such an inspiring story.