Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


            The Kite Runner takes places in the city of Kabul, Afghanistan and follows the lives of Amir and Hassan, two young boys that grow up together. It is a touching story about the bond of friendship between two boys from different societal classes and how they impacted each others lives. The novel displays lots of hardship dealing with prejudice, religious differences, class differences, internal conflict, and disturbing experiences. On one fateful day, Hassan experiences something that will change both the boys forever and send them on an emotional roller coaster ride. It is a story about growing up, accepting mistakes and moving on towards a better life.

            I can honestly say that of all the books I’ve read during my lifetime, none have changed me and impacted me as much as The Kite Runner. The plot is phenomenal and the book is brilliantly written and it left me in tears when I finished it. I cannot relate this book to my life, however, I admire the characters’ morality, and ability to be so selfless to help the people they love. Their selflessness made me want to be a better person. This book is perfect for people who enjoy reading about friendship and people’s emotional journeys through life that shape them into what they are. Also, if you are interested in a plot that will keep you on the edge of your seat with every chapter, then this is the perfect book for you.